Thursday, October 16, 2008

Weekend Update

Only....my weekend updates aren't as funny as the ones on Saturday Night Live. This is a report on my weekend in the cabin!!

October 10th thru 12th I was tucked away in the woods at a lakeside cabin in Minnesota. I still don't know really where it was, and had I not had step-by-step instructions, I might still be trying to find my way there. The drive there, though a bit rainy, was gorgeous. So many fall colors, a few rolling hills....it was pristine!



There were 12 women who attended this retreat. Eleven scrapbookers and me - the sole knitter/crocheter. Well, there were other women who do knit and/or crochet, but this weekend I was the only one not scrapbooking. Can I just say, that if my husband ever tries to tell me knitting is an expensive hobby - I will threaten to start scrapbooking! Good grief there are a lot of gizmos and doo-dads and supplies!!

Friday evening was the first evening there. Everyone was introduced and started crafting right away. I was recovering from a busy week at work, so I called it a night at about 11:00. There were four bedrooms, and three twin beds to a room. My bed happened to be in the middle of the other two. At some point during the night, I was having this odd dream. This super annoying man was talking.....like this.....really monotone.....stopping and starting.....and it was so annoying.....In my dream, I put my hands over my ears and yelled, "SHUT UP!" because I couldn't take his talking any longer. I woke myself up. I was lying in bed, awake, and I heard his voice. The monotone, rhythmic, annoying voice. I realized....it was one of the gals in my room ~ snoring. Her snoring was playing in to my dream as the most annoying voice on the planet. I had a hard time falling back asleep.......because of......the snoring........ugh.

About 7:00 a.m. Saturday, I couldn't take it any longer and got up. I was the first one to shower, and the first one awake. I decided to throw some shoes on and take a little nature walk. It was so peaceful, so calm, and such a beautiful morning. Check out the view across the lake when I walked down to the dock!



Saturday was a productive day. I spent nine hours on this jacket and am almost finished with it. I have the matching hat and booties to make yet and oh how I despise fuzzy yarn now.....



After midnight, as I was working on a hat and knitting quietly in the living room of the cabin, the retreat organized asked to have everyone's attention. Then she started and everyone else joined in - to sing Happy Birthday to me. It was Sunday, after all, and Sunday was my birthday. They presented me with a beautiful card that everyone signed and it was so very sweet, and I was so grateful!!

In the wee hours of Sunday morning, after everyone had gone to bed, there was a ridiculous thunder storm. Thunder, lightning, hard rain - it was lovely. Something about a thunderstorm while you're snuggled in a cabin is just so neat. I didn't mind that it had interrupted my sleep.

All in all it was a fabulous time, I got a lot of knitting and crocheting done, and I met lots of wonderful, beautiful women! And they are serious about their scrapbooking!

1 comment:

Knit Purl Gurl said...

OMG - Sounds heavenly! I'm so jealous of your retreat!! :)